Sunday, November 11, 2012

Week Three

11-8-2012

This week I got to use the camera microscope to photograph my aquarium.  (details about the camera and computer program will be posted online.  I will share them as soon as they are made available to me)

I saw a bunch of water fleas.

McFarland identified the two-tailed rat-like creature I keep seeing- a Rotifer. He also told me that the stuff on the bottom of the tank is worm castings (poop), recycling the debris.

The photos that I took will be added later this week after they have been processed.  But here are their descriptions:


Photo 1: Vorticella
(Patterson pg 113 fig. 232)


Photo 2: Water Flea- Cladocera (order name)
(Pennack pg 405)
juvenile.  top image- bottom view, bottom image- profile view


Photo 3: Epilaxis
(Patterson pg 141 fig. 311)


Photo 4: Raphidiophrys
(Patterson pg 173 fig 405-407)


Photo 5: Coleps
(Patterson pg 162 fig 375)



We also saw a Halteria (Patterson pg 139 fig 305) but it was moving so fast we could not get a photo of it.

Bibliography:
Patterson, D.J. Free-Living Freshwater Protozoa:A Color Guide. Washinton, D.C. Manson Publishing 2009

Pennack, Robert W. Fresh-Water Invertebrates of the United States: Protozoa to Mollusca. 3rd ed. New York. John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 1989

No comments:

Post a Comment